Welcome to theWeekly. 👋
The InterPlanetary File System (IPFS) is a distribution protocol, addressed by content and identity. IPFS enables the creation of completely distributed applications. It aims to make the web faster, safer, and more open. Since that’s a pretty large scope, we track development across the eco in this dispatch.
Want this update in your inbox? Subscribe to our weekly newsletter!
Here are some of the highlights since the last IPFS Weekly.
- We’re excited to announce the inaugural IPFS Camp, a three-day hacker retreat for the creators and builders of the distributed web. Join us on June 27-20th at the amazing Campus La Mola in Barcelona for an action-packed program of workshops, talks and deep dives on everything IPFS. More information, including registration, will be available on the IPFS blog soon!
- IPFS Cluster version 0.9.0 comes with one big new feature, OpenCensus support! Happy Measured Pinning!
- Last week, the IPFS research team released a paper on Merkle-CRDTs, that is, CRDTs backed by Merkle-DAGs. The paper formalizes what the team calls a Merkle-Clock (a logical clock) and goes on to describe Merkle-CRDTs as CRDTs on Merkle-Clocks.
- Introducing IPFS Stash — Local IPFS for everyone created during #ETHDenver2019.
- Update dnslink TXT records in Cloudflare with dnslink-cloudflare.
Meet Kevin Wong 👋
Kevin Wong works for Bitwork, the largest Blockchain Community in Hong Kong, as a Community Manager, helping out with all kinds of potential blockchain projects, education, promotion and solution to both individuals/ corporations. As the organizer of Hong Kong IPFS Community, he regularly hosts meetups/events to promote IPFS & to our community, educate and motivate members to help with the ecosystem. In addition, Kevin also participated in hosting Protoschool Hong Kong and the Shenzhen, China Chapters. Be sure to meet Kevin at next week’s IPFS Weekly Call, Monday, 5pm UTC.
IPFS in the wild
- Marvin Ammori’s Next Act: A Net Neutrality Vet on Blockchain—and Why the Internet Is Still Great, Fortune, 23 Feb 2019
- Understanding IPFS in Depth(2⁄6): What is InterPlanetary Linked Data(IPLD)?, Hackernoon, 23 Feb 2019
- VIDEO: The Distributed Web + IPFS at #BUIDLweek #ETHDenver, 21 Feb 2019
- Ethereum Foundation Grants Program Wave 5, Ethereum Blog, 21 Feb 2019
- Mapping out projects using IPFS, The Block Crypto, 19 Feb 2019
- A thread covering some of the coolest submissions from Eth Denver by Kyle Samani, 19 Feb 2019
- WHITEPAPER: IPLD as a general pattern for DID documents and Verifiable Claims, jonnycrunch, Anthony Ronning, Kim Duffy, Christian Lundkvist, 19 Feb 2019
- VIDEO: What is Decentralized Storage?, Blockchain WTF, 19 Feb 2019
- Well-Known URI vs DNS-SD for routing distributed web service discovery around internet censorship, Ctrl blog, 13 Feb 2019
Updates and new releases
See the latest releases of IPFS tools and projects across the ecosystem.
Questions from the community 🤔
Here are some questions folks are discussing in the IPFS ecosystem.
- Is the concept of anonymous editing of text files, HTML, or markdown possible with IPFS?
- I was trying out IPFS the other day and the file retrieval is very slow…
- I don’t even know what this error means, my / directory is definitely not a Any guesses? , / and /ipns are both certainly directories and not files, I have no idea what this is even in reference to.
Tools and projects we <3
Awesome IPFS is a community maintained and updated list of projects, tools, or pretty much any things related to IPFS that are totally awesome. To see more, or add yours to the list, visit Awesome IPFS on GitHub.
- AirSecure – Decentralized two factor authentication app built on Textile & IPFS.
- HyperSpace – HyperSpace, previously Synereo, redefines content publishing and distribution with Blockchain-enabled solutions that efficiently underlie and support a decentralized attention economy.
- Anonymize.com – Announcing DNS for IPFS.
Coming up in the Community
Did you know IPFS has a community forum at discuss.ipfs.io? Sign up to participate in discussions about coding, tutorials, see announcements and learn about upcoming community events.
- 2 Mar 2019: On Global Diversity CFP Day 2019 there will be numerous workshops hosted around the globe encouraging and advising newbie speakers to put together your very first talk proposal and share your own individual perspective on any subject of interest to people in tech.
- 2 Mar 2019: NYC School of Data is a community driven conference with a focus on open data, civic technology and design conference.
- 5-7 Mar 2019: Ethereum Community Conference, or EthCC, is the second edition of a series of conferences and workshops that bring together and strengthen the international Ethereum community. EthCC 2019 will take place in Paris
- 14 Mar 2019: Data Jam! Topic: NYC Transportation Data hosted by Qri. We’ll hack on (build, archive, synch, play with, analyze) interesting open datasets.
- 27-28 Mar 2019: C3 Crypto Conference is not only focused on blockchain companies and projects but also extends to topics on new technology. C3 Crypto Conference 2019 is also Berlin’s first large-scale crypto conference.
- 17-18 May 2019: Data Terra Nemo is a technical conference about decentralized protocols and the software built on top of them.
Thanks for reading ☺️
That’s it for this week’s news on all things IPFS. If we missed something, reply to this email and let us know! That way we can feature you in next week’s edition.
点对点科技深耘IPFS与Filecoin技术，坚持区块链技术改变未来的信念。点对点 IPFS 数据中心是目前国内技术领先，性价比高、保障优的投资标的。自建杭州数据中心，合作数据中心分布于上海、宁波、河北、香港、斯德哥尔摩（瑞典）等地。点对点数据中心具有优秀的硬件配置与目前国内优质的网络节点资源。点对点科技力求将IPFS爱好者升级为IPFS领军者与受益者，让IPFS颠覆传统互联网，共同开启 WEB 3.0时代。