Welcome to theWeekly. 👋
The InterPlanetary File System (IPFS) is a distribution protocol, addressed by content and identity. IPFS enables the creation of completely distributed applications. It aims to make the web faster, safer, and more open. Since that’s a pretty large scope, we track development across the eco in this dispatch.
Want this update in your inbox? Subscribe to our weekly newsletter!
Here are some of the highlights since the last IPFS Weekly.
- IPDR: InterPlanetary Docker Registry is a Docker Registry tool that proxies Docker registry requests to IPFS for pushing and pulling images. IPDR allows you to store Docker images on IPFS instead of a central registry like Docker Hub or Google Container Registry.
Meet Cale Teeter
Next week, Cale Teeter, Senior Software Blockchain Engineer at Azure will be joining the IPFS Weekly Call to talk about “IPFS in the Enterprise.” Enterprise consortiums have been asking for the option of decentralized storage to complement the solutions they are building. Microsoft built on the private options made available, to make it easy for companies to create these networks. Cale is also one of the hosts of “The Azure Podcast.” Meet Cale at the IPFS Weekly Call next Monday at 5pm UTC.
IPFS in the wild
- Understanding IPFS in Depth (1⁄6): A Beginner to Advanced Guide, Hackernoon, 16 Feb 2019
- VIDEO: A quick tour of Peergos, 13 Feb 2019
- Distributed web not ready for Runet cutoff from the Internet, Daniel Aleksandersen, 13 Feb 2019
- Introducing the Textile Mobile SDK, Textile, 13 Feb 2019
- The Graph’s Research and Specifications Are Now Open Source, The Graph, 13 Feb 2019
- Creating an Instagram-like DApp with IPFS + Vue.js, 12 Feb 2019
- Status Town Hall #27 – February 4, 2019, Our Status, 4 Feb 2019
Updates and new releases
See the latest releases of IPFS tools and projects across the ecosystem.
Questions from the community 🤔
Here are some questions folks are discussing in the IPFS ecosystem.
- I need to migrate an IPFS server now. What do I need to copy? Is the copy ~/.ipfs directory?
- What the purpose of self-certifying path names?
- Do IPFS public gateways retrieve data automatically from ipfs nodes?
- When following the 101 tutorial for starting a node and deploying a file I’m getting an error on my browser (using Angular with webpack)…
Tools and projects we <3
Awesome IPFS is a community maintained and updated list of projects, tools, or pretty much any things related to IPFS that are totally awesome. To see more, or add yours to the list, visit Awesome IPFS on GitHub.
- 🎉Opening the Filecoin Project Repos 🎉
- IPFS / IPNS peer ID generator: This tool generates IPFS public and private keypair until it finds public key which contains required substring.
- With the ENVIENTA Platform developer eye
- See this STORJ Backed IPFS node Prototype
Coming up in the Community
Did you know IPFS has a community forum at discuss.ipfs.io? Sign up to participate in discussions about coding, tutorials, see announcements and learn about upcoming community events.
- 2 Mar 2019: On Global Diversity CFP Day 2019 there will be numerous workshops hosted around the globe encouraging and advising newbie speakers to put together your very first talk proposal and share your own individual perspective on any subject of interest to people in tech.
- 5-7 Mar 2019: Ethereum Community Conference, or EthCC, is the second edition of a series of conferences and workshops that bring together and strengthen the international Ethereum community. EthCC 2019 will take place in Paris
- 27-28 Mar 2019: C3 Crypto Conference is not only focused on blockchain companies and projects but also extends to topics on new technology. C3 Crypto Conference 2019 is also Berlin’s first large-scale crypto conference.
- 17-18 May 2019: Data Terra Nemo is a technical conference about decentralized protocols and the software built on top of them.
Thanks for reading ☺️
That’s it for this week’s news on all things IPFS. If we missed something, reply to this email and let us know! That way we can feature you in next week’s edition.
点对点科技深耘IPFS与Filecoin技术，坚持区块链技术改变未来的信念。点对点 IPFS 数据中心是目前国内技术领先，性价比高、保障优的投资标的。自建杭州数据中心，合作数据中心分布于上海、宁波、河北、香港、斯德哥尔摩（瑞典）等地。点对点数据中心具有优秀的硬件配置与目前国内优质的网络节点资源。点对点科技力求将IPFS爱好者升级为IPFS领军者与受益者，让IPFS颠覆传统互联网，共同开启 WEB 3.0时代。