Welcome to theWeekly. 👋
The InterPlanetary File System (IPFS) is a distribution protocol, addressed by content and identity. IPFS enables the creation of completely distributed applications. It aims to make the web faster, safer, and more open. Since that’s a pretty large scope, we track development across the eco in this dispatch.
Want this update in your inbox? Subscribe to our weekly newsletter!
Here are some of the highlights since the last IPFS Weekly.
- CIDv1 is coming soon™ by default to IPFS and you can read all about the proposed plan here.
- Did you notice that ipfs.io got an implementations section? There’s also an integrations section too, check it out!
- This is cool, the new IPFS Companion Chrome Extension: A Chrome Extension that can work with a locally running IPFS daemon.
- Introducing dpip: an initiative to bring Python’s package ecosystem into IPFS.
Meet Brian Hoffman
The next guest presenter at the IPFS Weekly Call is Brian Hoffman. Brian began OpenBazaar when he forked the open source code from the 2014 Toronto Hackathon award winning DarkMarket, a decentralized Bitcoin marketplace, and went on to raise $1M from notable VCs Union Square Ventures and Andreessen Horowitz to found OB1. Mark your calendar for Monday, 5pm UTC, and catch up on this week’s meeting here.
IPFS in the wild
- PODCAST: Web3 Summit Decentralize NOW! #13 – IPFS and Decentralized File Storage, 11 Feb 2019
- The IPFS Gateway Problem, Pinata, 7 Feb 2019
- Why libp2p? Parity Technologies, 6 Feb 2019
- Textile Update | January 2019, 6 Feb 2019
- What is Ethereum’s Infura? Scalable Access to Ethereum and IPFS, 6 Feb 2019
- Development update, Feb 2019, Peergos
- What is IPFS: overview and use cases, 20 Dec 2018
Questions from the community 🤔
Here are some questions folks are discussing in the IPFS ecosystem.
- How do I go about saving user’s data in a completely decentralized manner using IPFS?
- Do more nodes always help?
- I need WebRTC signaling and after looking around and trying many things
- I’m trying to figure out if OrbitDB would be a good match for some DApp ideas I’ve been formulating
Tools and projects we <3
Awesome IPFS is a community maintained and updated list of projects, tools, or pretty much any things related to IPFS that are totally awesome. To see more, or add yours to the list, visit Awesome IPFS on GitHub.
- Prattle Network is a social network which stores the content entirely on the users devices and cannot be censored.
- If you still want to use oasis.direct you can do it through DAppNode! They deployed it to http://oasis.dappnode.eth (using Ethereum + IPFS) and it’s gonna be there forever! Welcome to a decentralized world in with no one can shut down a great service anymore. 😀
Coming up in the Community
Did you know IPFS has a community forum at discuss.ipfs.io? Sign up to participate in discussions about coding, tutorials, see announcements and learn about upcoming community events.
- 11-14 Feb 2019: #BUIDLWeek Colorado, a series of blockchain events (Blockchain Meetups, Workshops & Connections) open to the public, leading up to the ETHDenver 2019 main stage event.
- 15-17 Feb 2019: ETHDenver 2019, The ETHDenver #BUIDLATHON is about bringing together like minds around a common purpose.
- 26 Feb 2019: IPFS 2nd Hong Kong Meetup + Introducing Protoschool HK
- 2 Mar 2019: On Global Diversity CFP Day 2019 there will be numerous workshops hosted around the globe encouraging and advising newbie speakers to put together your very first talk proposal and share your own individual perspective on any subject of interest to people in tech.
- 17-18 May 2019: Data Terra Nemo is a technical conference about decentralized protocols and the software built on top of them.
Thanks for reading ☺️
That’s it for this week’s news on all things IPFS. If we missed something, reply to this email and let us know! That way we can feature you in next week’s edition.