Welcome to theWeekly. 👋
The InterPlanetary File System (IPFS) is a distribution protocol, addressed by content and identity. IPFS enables the creation of completely distributed applications. It aims to make the web faster, safer, and more open. Since that’s a pretty large scope, we track development across the eco in this dispatch.
Want this update in your inbox? Subscribe to our weekly newsletter!
Here are some of the highlights since the last IPFS Weekly.
- js.ipfs.io is now translated in 9 languages!! The latest addition being Chinese. All thanks to the Transifex project that the Web Browsers Working Group kicked off and our amazing community of contributors 👏👏👏
- Manage your IPFS installs with this new CLI tool, iim, created by Alan Shaw.
Meet Michelle Hertz
Michelle Hertz works on the IPFS Decentralized Data Stewardship working group at Protocol Labs. Before Protocol Labs, Michelle worked at 18F as a UX developer and Front End Design Supervisor. At 18F, she assisted in helping various government departments in the United States create more user-centric web interfaces. She is passionate about building products that meets the needs of the user.
IPFS in the wild
- Future implementations of Callisto Network IPFS, 3 Feb 2019
- Decentralization is Not Enough, Interview with Nolan Lawson, 1 Feb 2019
- Soy is the Secret Sauce for the Unstoppable Web, ConsenSys Web3Studio, 31 Jan 2019
- Aragon comes back to the desktop, 30 Jan 2019
- IPFS in a Nutshell, 30 Jan 2019
- Hosting Slate Documentation On IPFS, Temporal, 29 Jan 2019
- Introducing the Origin Marketplace Creator: Instant Peer-to-Peer Marketplaces, Origin, 28 Jan 2019
Updates and new releases
See the latest releases of IPFS tools and projects across the ecosystem.
- qri 0.7.0 is packed mostly with stability improvements, but we also shipped support for Excel!
Questions from the community 🤔
Here are some questions folks are discussing in the IPFS ecosystem.
- Would I be able to build a completely decentralized Wiki using IPFS?
- I want to create a record in this public database and link to their also public solutions… there is a way to do it on IPFS?
- If a node requests data from another cluster in which it is a member, is this data also distributed in the new cluster?
- What motivates people to use IPFS for large volumes of data?
Tools and projects we <3
Awesome IPFS is a community maintained and updated list of projects, tools, or pretty much any things related to IPFS that are totally awesome. To see more, or add yours to the list, visit Awesome IPFS on GitHub.
- Dogenealogy is a decentralized breed registry made by Lorenzo Zaccagnini, uses Etherum blockchain and IPFS in order to track the animal pedigree.
- Temporal.cloud Walk-Through: IPFS at the click of a button with the best free usage tier of any IPFS service: Free 3GB/Monthly, 5 Free IPNS record creation a month, 100 Free pubSub messages a month and 5 Free IPFS keys.
- Ethereum Primer now available on Zastrin!
- Ultimate Guide to Filecoin: Breaking Down Filecoin Whitepaper & Economics, The Startup, 30 Jan 2019
- Introducing Web3 Labs
- Menlo is a framework for rapidly developing decentralized applications (dApps). This framework is designed to provide users with a user experience on-par with the centralized apps they’re used to.
Coming up in the Community
Did you know IPFS has a community forum at discuss.ipfs.io? Sign up to participate in discussions about coding, tutorials, see announcements and learn about upcoming community events.
- 6 Feb 2019: Qri: A bleeding-edge open source data science tool on the distributed web, hosted by New York Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare.
- 11-14 Feb 2019: #BUIDLWeek Colorado, a series of blockchain events (Blockchain Meetups, Workshops & Connections) open to the public, leading up to the ETHDenver 2019 main stage event.
- 15-17 Feb 2019: ETHDenver 2019, The ETHDenver #BUIDLATHON is about bringing together like minds around a common purpose.
- 2 Mar 2019: On Global Diversity CFP Day 2019 there will be numerous workshops hosted around the globe encouraging and advising newbie speakers to put together your very first talk proposal and share your own individual perspective on any subject of interest to people in tech.
- 17-18 May 2019: Data Terra Nemo is a technical conference about decentralized protocols and the software built on top of them.
Thanks for reading ☺️
That’s it for this week’s news on all things IPFS. If we missed something, reply to this email and let us know! That way we can feature you in next week’s edition.
点对点科技深耘IPFS与Filecoin技术，坚持区块链技术改变未来的信念。点对点 IPFS 数据中心是目前国内技术领先，性价比高、保障优的投资标的。自建杭州数据中心，合作数据中心分布于上海、宁波、河北、香港、斯德哥尔摩（瑞典）等地。点对点数据中心具有优秀的硬件配置与目前国内优质的网络节点资源。点对点科技力求将IPFS爱好者升级为IPFS领军者与受益者，让IPFS颠覆传统互联网，共同开启 WEB 3.0时代。