Welcome to theWeekly. 👋
The InterPlanetary File System (IPFS) is a distribution protocol, addressed by content and identity. IPFS enables the creation of completely distributed applications. It aims to make the web faster, safer, and more open. Since that’s a pretty large scope, we track development across the eco in this dispatch.
Want this update in your inbox? Subscribe to our weekly newsletter!
Here are some of the highlights since the last IPFS Weekly.
- This weekend the IPFS Community will be at FOSDEM 2019, will you? Follow this issue for updates on an IPFS Meetup at the event.
- David Dias wrote up a fantastic 2018 Q4 London Hack Week Summary on the IPFS blog last week. Read the full recap for photos, details about the community show and tell, and more.
- ProtoSchool is off and running. There are now eight local chapters across three continents! Check it out!
Meet Paula de la Hoz
Next week, Paula de la Hoz will be joining the IPFS All Hands weekly call to present on “Decentralized Internet and Privacy.” Paula has been a security auditor for the past few years, investigating and researching security and internet censorship. She is studying engineering and has a background in investigative journalism. Paula co-founded a privacy and digital rights awareness association called Interferencias. She is passionate about freedom of software and hardware, so her talk will be a fantastic one! Join the IPFS All Hands call next Monday, 5pm UTC.
IPFS in the wild
- IPFS: A Distributed File Store, Block360 Labs, 29 Jan 2019
- How to build a completely free Dapp, Pact.Care, 29 Jan 2019
- Blockchain and the Next Cold War, 27 Jan 2019
- TUTORIAL: Installing an IPFS Server on Debian 9 and Updating, Abyss Project, 24 Jan 2019
- VIDEO: “Decentralization and the Great Pendulum of History” | Blockstack Tour – Hong Kong, Daniel Jeffries, 23 Jan 2019
- VIDEO: Tensions Inherent to Building on Blockchains, Nick Grossman, 23 Jan 2019
- IPFS-powered Torrent Paradise is decentralized and invulnerable, ChainRift Research, 22 Jan 2019
- PODCAST: Developers Corner #5 featuring Alexandre ‘Postables’ Trottier – IPFS expert, 28 Dec 2018
Updates and new releases
See the latest releases of IPFS tools and projects across the ecosystem.
Questions from the community 🤔
Here are some questions folks are discussing in the IPFS ecosystem.
- Is there a peer to peer backup system build on IPFS yet?
- Are there any non-technical obstacles (e.g., administrative barriers) to using IPFS?
- How secret are CIDs and what should I think about hosting user uploaded media on IPFS?
- Social Media Architecture with IPFS
- Is there any IPFS based application for private folder sharing, with GUI, available for Linux and Windows?
Tools and projects we <3
Awesome IPFS is a community maintained and updated list of projects, tools, or pretty much any things related to IPFS that are totally awesome. To see more, or add yours to the list, visit Awesome IPFS on GitHub.
- Temporal-JS SDK (Full Public IPFS+IPNS Usage): Not only can you pin content with the SDK, you have complete usage of all our public IPFS, and IPNS API calls. This means you can create and export keys, publish IPNS records, upload s, download files, use pubsub, retrieve IPLD objects, and object statistics.
- exoHash – A token driven data science product.
Coming up in the Community
Did you know IPFS has a community forum at discuss.ipfs.io? Sign up to participate in discussions about coding, tutorials, see announcements and learn about upcoming community events.
- 2 Feb 2019: IPFS Bootstrapping – 2019 edition is coming to the Copehagen IPFS community.
- 2-3 Feb 2019: IPFS will be a topic of discussion at FOSDEM in Brussels. Join us there!
- 6 Feb 2019: Qri: A bleeding-edge open source data science tool on the distributed web, hosted by New York Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare.
- 15-17 Feb 2019: ETHDenver 2019, The ETHDenver #BUIDLATHON is about bringing together like minds around a common purpose.
- 2 Mar 2019: On Global Diversity CFP Day 2019 there will be numerous workshops hosted around the globe encouraging and advising newbie speakers to put together your very first talk proposal and share your own individual perspective on any subject of interest to people in tech.
- 17-18 May 2019: Data Terra Nemo is a technical conference about decentralized protocols and the software built on top of them.
Thanks for reading ☺️
That’s it for this week’s news on all things IPFS. If we missed something, reply to this email and let us know! That way we can feature you in next week’s edition.
点对点科技深耘IPFS与Filecoin技术，坚持区块链技术改变未来的信念。点对点 IPFS 数据中心是目前国内技术领先，性价比高、保障优的投资标的。自建杭州数据中心，合作数据中心分布于上海、宁波、河北、香港、斯德哥尔摩（瑞典）等地。点对点数据中心具有优秀的硬件配置与目前国内优质的网络节点资源。点对点科技力求将IPFS爱好者升级为IPFS领军者与受益者，让IPFS颠覆传统互联网，共同开启 WEB 3.0时代。