Welcome to theWeekly. 👋
The InterPlanetary File System (IPFS) is a distribution protocol, addressed by content and identity. IPFS enables the creation of completely distributed applications. It aims to make the web faster, safer, and more open. Since that’s a pretty large scope, we track development across the eco in this dispatch.
Want this update in your inbox? Subscribe to our weekly newsletter!
Here are some of the highlights since the last IPFS Weekly.
- Last week, JS IPFS 0.34 was released. It’s fast, small, supports big dirs, is flexible with CID versions and more! Read the full release notes here.
- Check out this video, Making the Web Work Offline from Molly Mackinlay, and if you’re interested in joining the conversation, come to the working group meetup, tomorrow, Jan 23.
- We’re excited about let’s talk about IPFS, an upcoming talk at FOSDEM 2019!
- ICYMI: Introducing ProtoSchool, learn about ProtoSchool, an educational community that teaches decentralized web protocols and tools through online tutorials and local chapter events, in this introduction video.
Meet Matt Ober 😸
Matt Ober comes from Omaha, Nebraska, where he spends most of his days coding everything that goes into Pinata, a pinning service for the IPFS ecosystem. Pinata makes managing content on IPFS easy through a variety of tools and API endpoints. When Matt isn’t developing Pinata, he’s usually hanging out with his dog Winston or trying out some random dinner recipe he found on the internet.
IPFS in the wild
- How Blockchain Technology Can Help Cannabis Recovery Efforts In Natural Disasters, Forbes, 21 Jan 2019
- Torrent Paradise Creates Decentralized ‘Pirate Bay’ with IPFS, TorrentFreak, 20 Jan 2019
- Building The World’s First IPFS Data Center — Part 1, 18 Jan 2019
- IPFS vs HTTP: How distributed networks make the internet great again, Crypto Insider, 11 Jan 2019
- Deploy a private IPFS network on Ubuntu in 5 steps, 11 Jan 2019
- The Egyptian company Elkrem, will be exhibiting its top-notch technology at CES2018, 10 Jan 2019
- VIDEO: IPFS in Azure, Block Talk, 3 Jan 2019
- PODCAST: Calling the Zaif Exchange Hack and a Look at the Interplanetary File System (IPFS), Quantlayer, 3 Jan 2019
- VIDEO: IPFS Web 3.0 and the future of human civilization with Eric Des Courtis, 3 Jan 2019
Updates and new releases
See the latest releases of IPFS tools and projects across the ecosystem.
- IPFS Cluster 0.8.0 is out!
- Textile Photos Release Version 0.5.0
- IPFS Desktop Client: Orion v1.0
- OneLoveDTube IPFS uploader 0.8.3: Mobile optimizations, multi-resolution upload support, and more!
Tools and projects we <3
Awesome IPFS is a community maintained and updated list of projects, tools, or pretty much any things related to IPFS that are totally awesome. To see more, or add yours to the list, visit Awesome IPFS on GitHub.
- Someone created a Udemy course on IPFS!
- 2read – Convert article in current tab to readable form and upload it to P2P network (IPFS).
- Haven, a new app from OB1, lets users chat, shop and send crypto privately.
- PirlTube WebView Beta is Released! Access the immutable and decentralized video content shared on PirlTube through your browser! The most decentralized video sharing platform has no SPF and is completely hosted on Pirl Infrastructure
- Nile – A decentralized, commission-free, local-economy focused online shopping platform. (And blockchain free)
Coming up in the Community
Did you know IPFS has a community forum at discuss.ipfs.io? Sign up to participate in discussions about coding, tutorials, see announcements and learn about upcoming community events.
- 24 Jan 2019: Decentralization: What Have You Done For Me Lately? (part 1 of 2), the meetup that’s not only for developers 👨💻/ designers 👨🎨/ marketers 👨💼 / engineers 👩🏽🔧 / entrepreneurs 👩💼 but also for the “curious” 🦄mind out there, in Newark, New Jersey.
- 25 Jan 2019: Graph Day was recently announced and will take place at the historic Grand Theater in San Francisco, California.
- 29-30 Jan 2019: AraCon, the first Aragon Conference, will take place in Berlin, Germany.
- 2-3 Feb 2019: IPFS will be a topic of discussion at FOSDEM in Brussels. Join us there!
- 6 Feb 2019: Qri: A bleeding-edge open source data science tool on the distributed web, hosted by New York Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare.
- 2 Mar 2019: On Global Diversity CFP Day 2019 there will be numerous workshops hosted around the globe encouraging and advising newbie speakers to put together your very first talk proposal and share your own individual perspective on any subject of interest to people in tech.
- 17-18 May 2019: Data Terra Nemo is a technical conference about decentralized protocols and the software built on top of them.
Thanks for reading ☺️
That’s it for this week’s news on all things IPFS. If we missed something, reply to this email and let us know! That way we can feature you in next week’s edition.
点对点科技深耘IPFS与Filecoin技术，坚持区块链技术改变未来的信念。点对点 IPFS 数据中心是目前国内技术领先，性价比高、保障优的投资标的。自建杭州数据中心，合作数据中心分布于上海、宁波、河北、香港、斯德哥尔摩（瑞典）等地。点对点数据中心具有优秀的硬件配置与目前国内优质的网络节点资源。点对点科技力求将IPFS爱好者升级为IPFS领军者与受益者，让IPFS颠覆传统互联网，共同开启 WEB 3.0时代。