Welcome to theWeekly. 👋
The InterPlanetary File System (IPFS) is a distribution protocol, addressed by content and identity. IPFS enables the creation of completely distributed applications. It aims to make the web faster, safer, and more open. Since that’s a pretty large scope, we track development across the eco in this dispatch.
Want this update in your inbox? Subscribe to our weekly newsletter!
Here are some of the highlights since the last IPFS Weekly.
- In August, Protocol Labs held Lab Day in San Francisco, and the presentations and photos are available to check out now.
- The IPFS Twitter pinbot (@ pin) now supports adding content directly from tweets and a bunch of other improvements, check it out 🙂
- Video: IPFS: A Sneakernet for your geodata Volker Mische, 18 Oct 2018
- Check out public-gateway-checker, which checks which public gateways are online or not
- Dan’s Dev series reviewed the GitHub libp2p library in this video!
IPFS in the wild
- Why bother with P2P when you still need to guarantee uptime?, Paul Frazee, 22 Oct 2018
- How to Keep Your IPFS Nodes Connected to Ensure Fast Content Discovery, An IPFS Tutorial, Matt Ober, 19 Oct 2018
- How We Sped Up Unit Test Performance by 10x at Qri, Dustin Long, 17 Oct 2018
- Introduction to Blockchain Governance, P.J. Leimgruber, 17 Oct 2018
- hastebin.com clone using ipfs-companion for writing
Updates and new releases
See the latest releases of IPFS tools and projects across the ecosystem.
- Version 0.33.0 of js-ipfs is upon us! Check out the upcoming release notes.
- textile-mobile android_1.6.14_262 – Encrypted, secure, decentralized personal data wallet – technology behind textile.photos
Tools and projects we <3
Awesome IPFS is a community maintained and updated list of projects, tools, or pretty much any things related to IPFS that are totally awesome. To see more, or add yours to the list, visit Awesome IPFS on GitHub.
- Dark Crystal – Back up your secrets using the trust in your social network
- Aldous Huxley on decentralization (1946, Foreword to Brave New World)
- Brave announced first release of redesigned Chromium-based desktop version that replaces previous Muon-based browser and delivers 22% faster load time. It supports IPFS Companion as well. Give it a try!
- TEMPORAL is an enterprise-grade storage solution featuring an easy to consume API that can be easily integrated into your existing application stack, providing all the benefits of the distributed web, without any of the overhead that comes with running distributed storage nodes.
Coming up in the Community
Did you know IPFS has a community forum at discuss.ipfs.io? Sign up to participate in discussions about coding, tutorials, see announcements and learn about upcoming community events.
- Blockstack Featuring The Blockchain Association, A panel on Decentralization & Regulation with The Blockchain Association, 25 Oct 2018, 6pm
- Introducing Decentralized Camp’s second yearly hackathon, 9-11 Nov 2018
- Sign up to be notified for IPFS Conf 2019, in Lisbon.
- Introducing AraCon, the first Aragon Conference, will take place in Berlin, Germany on January 29-30, 2019.
Thanks for reading ☺️
That’s it for this week’s news on all things IPFS. If we missed something, reply to this email and let us know! That way we can feature you in next week’s edition.